As part of that organization, the Do This Now folder on my desktop is open and I'm trying to figure out what that "Do This" means, now that "Now" is here (as opposed to the "when you saved this" of several years ago). While dealing with this health issue, figuring out what's going to happen at work this coming year and trying to help my in-declining-health parents isn't exactly stressful, it's not exactly easy going either. So it feels like the right time to post this as a reminder to myself, and others:
- Be present with whatever you are doing and whoever you are with.
- Add something beautiful to your life on a daily basis (e.g., flowers).
- Do some enjoyable activities whenever possible.
- Walk, work, and eat at a relaxed pace.
- Take a short break after meals to relax.
- If possible, go outside at least once per day and notice the simple things such as the weather, scenery, etc.
- During the day, whenever you remember, notice and tension in your body (jaw, neck, diaphragm, shoulders, etc.). Breathe deeply and gently stretch and relax any tense areas.
- If you notice your mind racing or worrying about the past or future, take a minute to breathe deeply and gently focus on something in the moment such as your breath, scenery, birds. Try an emotional shift.
- Wear comfortable and loose clothing when possible. Take off your shoes when you can.
- Avoid holding in feelings day after day, but instead, find a safe place to feel, express and embrace them.