17.7.17

A Study of (my) Reading Habits

It's no surprise that I've been reading for a very long time. And that my blogging has lagged recently. So this meme, via Terry (who got it elsewhere) is a perfect way to blog... about reading.

PART ONE
1. What was your favorite book as a child?  Good Night, Moon, which feels like a cop out because, well, it's perfect.
2. What’s the last really good book you read? Because I'm on a book award committee, I can't give you the last really good adult book, but in the children's/YA category Dreamland Burning, a wonderful retelling of the Tulsa riots (or pogroms, choose your word) in the 1920s.
3. Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction? Fiction.
4. Do you finish every book that you start? If you don’t, how do you decide when to stop reading? It took me nearly 50 years, but I am no longer a 'clean plate' reader.  For the award, I have to read 100 pages of books I request.  For other books, 50 pages and out.
5. List your ten favorite books in four minutes or less. Write it down because you’ll revisit it at the end. Oh no.  I just can't.  Which genre?  I could list ten favorite authors, or ten in a specific genre, but overall?  Nope.  Just can't.
6. Do you reread books? Which ones? I aspire to having the time, and fewer books on Mt. Bookpile to reread.  Which would be the oeuvre of Julian Barnes and Robertson Davies, the Chalet School series and several other past favorites, like Shadow Castle and Possession.
7. Do you read poetry? Why or why not? Not usually, because books in verse feel forced.  But occasionally I do and I'm always glad.
8. Do you remember the first “grown-up” book you read? Leaving aside that many books I read as a child were actually adult books (Treasure Island and Little Women were not written for kids!) and the Lord of the Rings trilogy (read when I was 9-10), Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt.  I'll admit a lot of it went over my head and on rereading years later I was quite surprised.
9. Are there any authors whose work you have read completely? Robertson Davies. C.S. Lewis.  A.S. Byatt.  Julian Barnes.  And many, many mystery and YA writers (like Rex Stout and Garth Nix)
10. How often do you read books that are more than one hundred years old? Right now, rarely. But when I finish with this book award, probably once or twice a year.
11. Is there a type (or types) of book you never read? Not really. Unless you count textbooks.
12. How do you choose what to read? Reviews and recommendations from colleagues, professional publications, students and friends.

PART TWO
13. What’s more important to you: the way a book is written, or what the book is about? The way it's written.  A well-written book can transform a dull topic (see, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks) and a poorly-written one can kill a great topic (not naming names).
14. What author, living or dead, would you most like to have dinner with? C.S. Lewis
15. If you could hang out with a literary character for the day, who would it be? I want to be bold and say Pippi Longstocking, but at my age I'm just not up for that level of activity.
16. If you could be a literary character, who would it be? I have no idea.
17. Have you ever written a fan letter to an author? No.  I've never been tempted, either.
18. Is there any book that, if I professed to love it, you would be turned off? Is there any book that would impress you in particular? Nothing would impress me, but if you said A Confederacy of Dunces I wouldn't accept book recommendations from you.
19. Is there a book you feel embarrassed about liking? Nope.  An adult reading picture books, middle grade books and YA books really doesn't feel that way about reading.  Perhaps an occupational hazard?
20. Are there books you feel proud of liking or having finished? Again nope.
21. Have you ever lied about having read a book?  Yes.  Mostly books I was supposed to read when I was in school, like Revolt of the Masses by Ortega.
22. Do you keep track of the books you read?  Not before 2007.  Now I use GoodReads and a notebook for my award reads.
23. How do you form opinions about what you read? Is it engaging?  Do I buy the world (fictional or non) that the author is presenting? How does it compare to other books I've read?
24. What authors do you think are overrated? Underrated? My lips are sealed.  Doing Readers Advisory for a living means I love all books, all authors.  Publicly, at least.

PART THREE
25. Do you ever read self-help books?  On occasion.  Last one?  Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up.
26. What’s a book that shocked you? Can't think of one.  I'm sure there were, though.
27. If you could force every person you know to read one book, what would it be?  I'd never.
28. What book would you recommend to me in particular? I don’t know you. (Terry's response, recycled here because it's accurate)
29. What books/authors have you been meaning to read for years? Why haven’t you read them yet? Anthony Trollope, because I think I need some really dedicated reading time.  And Mt. Bookpile, of course.
30. What kind of book do you consider “a guilty pleasure?”  I'm nearly 55.  I don't have "guilty" pleasures, just pleasures.
31. Has a book ever changed your mind about something? No.  Not really.
32. If you were terminally ill, what book or books would you read?  As much of Mt. Bookpile as possible.
33. Do you have any passages of poetry or prose committed to memory? Can you recite something to me?  Huh?  If you were here, I could.  Some Shakespeare (do young'uns memorize speeches still?).  Some Longfellow.  The usual suspects.
34. If you could change anything about the way you read, what would it be? I'd say faster, but at 1000+wpm I'm not sure that's necessary.  Perhaps regaining the ability to read in a moving car/bus.
35. Was there any time in your life when you felt as if a book guided you in a profound way? Guided, no.  Touched, on the other hand... definitely.
36. Return to the list you made at the beginning. What titles, if any, would you change after our conversation? No.  I stand by my lack of list.

No comments: