22.4.15

Send in the trolls...

Time and time again, I see something in the news (or on the web) and have thoughts that run seemingly countercurrent to what prevailing opinion is - sometimes it's my belief/values that are different, sometimes by virtue of age and having seen it before, sometimes because who has the energy to get that worked up over something.  And each time I think, "I'm going to blog this!"

But then I think of the trolls.  I'm sure there are those who would defend my position and thoughts, but the trolls would also be there.  And who needs trolls?  It used to be that you could relatively safely share your opinion and people would either read and agree or read and disagree or read, disagree and stop reading in a huff.  But now it's like everyone feels entitled to comment, and not just on the opinions but on the person.  They're entitled to issue death threats, or make comments about rape, or my looks, or my intelligence, or simply be so nasty that Mean Girls look like Mother Theresa.  I read stories (or hear about books like So You've Been Publicly Shamed) and wonder what the hell is wrong with our society when this is normal.

Who needs that?  I'm too damn old to be dealing with childish interactions, but I'd be forced to.

One such troll, several years ago, forced me to turn on comment moderation.  Doesn't help that I knew who it was, that I could ask them to stop.  It could happen again, right?  And from someone I don't know.

That's part of the reason blogging has been so light, while my head has been filled with thoughts about so many things going on.  Maybe the thing to do is to take this private, so I could comment, knowing that those of you who chose to follow and interact would be respectful - even while disagreeing.  Maybe...


No comments: