15.7.13

Notable Quotes

Random jams only  ever occur when traffic is heavy and bunched up.  I think they're triggered when something seemly trivial takes place, like somebody changing lanes suddenly, and the person behind brakes, then the person behind them brakes a little harder, and so on, until people further back are having to slow to a crawl and then a stop, while people changing lanes to avoid it just spread the blockage further... 
Lastly, it has occurred to me that the person who initiates a random jam probably never knows what chaos they've caused behind them.  I've seen six random jams over the last eight years... and it took me a while before I realised that they might stand as a symbol for life in general; trivial actions leading to proliferating consequences that affect hundreds of others, but which we never know about.

- The Quarry, Iain Banks

No comments: