24.7.13

Does it matter?

Today's news is being taken over by Anthony Weiner's latest revelations. I'm very unsure why this is national news - why are shows like Morning Joe, the Today Show, Fox News and papers like the Wall Street Journal, Christian Science Monitor and the Los Angeles Times spending so much time on a sleazy mayoral candidate? Granted, New York City is a little different than SmallTown but still - it's not national news.

One of my FB friends posted, "So instead of us worrying if wiener sent a dirty text can we learn more about what all of these candidates want to do? In this day and age we all have a electronic history."

As someone who can no longer vote in NYC elections, I'd like less coverage of this aspect of the campaign. Ok, I'll be honest, I'd like no more coverage, but all my "local" tv stations are based in New York so that's not happening. I've ranted before about how politics has changed over the years (I'll wait while you read that old post). What's adding to the problem is, as my friend says, "we all have a[n] electronic history".

So now, in addition to regular mudslinging we'll get digital mudslinging and hacking into social media accounts to see that - gasp - this candidate went topless sunbathing, or drinking, or may have crossdressed at a party. Because all those private photos can now be made public with incredible ease. Remember the fuss over Obama and his cocaine usage? Yeah, neither do I.  And Bill Clinton didn't inhale, he apparently ate brownies. Who cares?

My friend is 22.  He voted in his first presidential election last year (no, I don't know who he voted for - I can guess, but I've never asked).  And already he's sick of the political process.  Thing One first voted in 1972 and it took him until the 1990s to get sick of the way candidates conduct campaigns.  I worry about my friend, who only knows the current climate.  Because for him, why vote?  He's not going to asked to vote for a candidate who takes a political stance he agrees with, he's going to be asked to vote for the least sleazy candidate or one who belongs to a party (but may or may not agree with the party's platform).

Does it matter, what Weiner did?  Ultimately, no.  Now, let's just move on.  Please????

No comments: