24.5.12

Impressions...

It's common knowledge that you only have something like seven seconds to make a first impression, but I've been pondering how our impressions and feelings about people we know reflect (or not) the real person.

What led me to this was the other day receiving an e-mail thanking me for a cake I'd baked (my mother's Easy Apple Cake recipe) - it was made for Meeting, but left for the nearby cemetery association's annual meeting.  A number of years ago, my assistant wondered if I even knew how to cook, which took me by surprise.  When we'd met, I was living in the Cold Cottage from Hell, which had a whopping 1sqft of counter space.  Not conducive to cooking!  And I live alone, which means that while I'll broil a lamb chop or do a quick stir fry, "real" cooking isn't something I engage in often. Recently, however, I've been on a real cooking tear: Asparagus Flan, Apple Cake, kugel, chocolate croissant bread pudding, lamb tagine and more.  Maybe I should take some of these to my former assistant...

Thing Two is under the impression that I have a poor diet, which leads to my health issues.  Sadly for him, my diet is far better than what he eats, filled with fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, lamb, chicken,  homemade yogurt and soups (his diet is more processed foods, ice cream, fast food and beer).  My health problems are actually better because of my diet.  Nothing I say or do, no evidence to the contrary, will ever change his impression...

And then there's the question of stress.  Some people think I'm never stressed, while others think that's my natural state. Truth is somewhere in the middle - my work situation was incredibly stressful, and towards the end I was making some bad decisions, whether or not I showed it to the outside world.  Some people are carriers in the world of stress, and I've tried to distance myself from them.  But usually, thanks to The Herd and my ability to escape into my reading, there's not a whole lot of stress...

Yesterday I learned that a cousin had died, funeral to be held on Friday.  My first reaction was to call my parents and then my uncle - the former to inform, the latter to ask if he (and my aunt) would like a ride to/from Boston.  It turns out that my parents cannot make it, so once again I'll be the family representative.  It reminded me of a previous family funeral, another one my parents couldn't attend: my other uncle was concerned that my parents wouldn't know and his wife reassured him, saying "Lazygal will have called them, and she'll be here in their stead".  It's a nice assumption for her to make, and one I hope I'll be able to live up to...

None of these were impressions made in the first seven seconds of my knowing any of them.  Yet, just like those instant judgements, they're difficult to change.  Some I want to, some not so much.

What impressions do you have of your friends/family?  What do they have of you?  How do you feel about them?

No comments: