9.6.10

And if everyone jumped off a cliff...

Last weekend I was at Number Four Niece's Engagement Party and had one of those "we're not from different sides of the tracks, we're from different towns" moments.

The party was held on a Festiva boat - four hours of cruising around New York Harbor on a rather hot and humid Saturday night. It was really quite nice! Until... I was sitting there, and a groomsman (I knew that because he had a button that said "groomsman" on it) flicked a cigarette butt out into the water. Apparently I had my Librarian Face on, because he looked at me and said "c'mon, everyone does it".

Ahem.

Perhaps everyone does do it, but that doesn't mean that you have to. Or that you should. Or that everyone's right. As my mother and grandmother used to say, "if everyone jumped off a cliff..."

4 comments:

Jandy said...

Good for you

Anonymous said...

Did you respond after he said 'everyone does it'?
RLC

Aravis said...

If everyone jumped a cliff I suspect I would watch them fall and rate the quality of the dive. After awhile I'd probably get tired of this, and might count how long it took to hit the water or something. When that got boring (pretty quickly I imagine) I'd shrug and walk away in search of something better to do with my time.

Lazygal said...

RLC, no. Sometimes (albeit not often) I know when to hold my tongue!