23.12.09

Not bad for middle age!

My wonderful friend Aravis gave me a bookmark (not as wonderful as the one she made me, but still, a Lazygal can't have too many bookmarks, right?). On it are inscribed the 50 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I've always loved lists like this - my first was created from the book on how to prepare for college (a "gift" from my mother when I was in 8th grade) - so of course I wanted to see how I stacked up.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy - Tolkein
1984 - Orwell
Pride and Prejudice - Austen
The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee
Jane Eyre - Bronte
Wuthering Heights - Bronte
A Passage to India - Forster
The Lord of the Flies - Golding
Hamlet - Shakespeare
A Bend in the River - Naipaul
The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
The Catcher in the Rye - Salinger
The Bell Jar - Plath
Brave New World - Huxley
The Diary of Anne Frank - Frank
(** s/b The Diary of a Young Girl!!)
Don Quixote - Cervantes
The Bible
The Canterbury Tales - Chaucer
Ulysses - Joyce
The Quiet American - Greene
Birdsong - Faulks
Money - Amis
Harry Potter series - Rowling
Moby Dick - Melville
The Wind in the Willows - Grahame
His Dark Materials trilogy - Pullman
Anna Karenina - Tolstoy
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Carroll
Rebecca - du Maurier
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Haddon
On the Road - Kerouac
Heart of Darkness - Conrad
The Way We Live Now - Trollope
The Outsider - Camus
The Color Purple - Walker
Life of Pi - Martel
Frankenstein - Shelley
The War of the Worlds - Wells
Men without Women - Hemingway
Gulliver's Travels - Swift
A Christmas Carol - Dickins
Huckleberry Finn - Twain
Robinson Crusoe - Defoe
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Kesey
Catch 22 - Heller
The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
Memoirs of a Geisha - Golden
The Divine Comedy - Dante
The Picture of Dorian Grey - Wilde

So, 31 of 50 books. Guess I should ignore the 330 books on Mt. Bookpile and start in on these... or not.

3 comments:

camillofan said...

I'm surprised you were never forced to read "Mockingbird" or "Gulliver," as they come up on so many syllabi!

Lazygal said...

OOPS - I did read Mockingbird. That's been changed. As for Gulliver, nope.

As with any list, there are some serious "wha???" moments. No Flaubert? No Byatt?

Aravis said...

I wondered how many of those you'd read! Thanks for answering the unasked question. Sorry this one wasn't cross-stitched. Maybe I'll design a new one for you next year. *G*