14.11.09

Better late than never (aka My Review Policy)

I've been really slow in my reading the past couple of months, which may mean that I don't reach last year's record 180 read! Not quite sure why the slowdown or what the cure is, but it seems like a good time to talk about reviews.

As some of you may know, the FTC started issuing new guidelines about posting reviews, accepting ARCs, etc.. The Big Question on everyone's mind was: what will the fall-out be? Can I blog my reviews on my review blog, post them on FB, use GoodReads/LibraryThing, whatever? Even the Wall Street Journal weighed in.

The answer seems to be, I can do anything I want as long as I indicate where I got the book, and be upfront about any other compensation received. Unlike LizB, I'm not an Amazon Associate (although I will no longer point people to Powells when recommending or listing a book; I prefer "real" bookstores to Amazon, and yes I'm a snob about that. Deal with it.).

So what is a review? Shannon Hale has some good advice.

No comments: