6.3.09

Names and Numbers

One of the less pleasant chores I have at MPOW is sending out letters to parents of students who have seriously overdue books - oddly enough, these presumed lost items magically reappear once an invoice goes home. The only thing that makes this chore bearable is that I get to see who lives where.

I'm not talking about the snobby sense of "oh, wow: they live there???" about a particularly affluent area, I'm talking about the fun of names.

Yes, i admit it, I'm a street name snob. When I first moved to Brooklyn, I lived in a cul-de-sac, but it was a numbered street. Yawn. Then Thing One and I moved to a one-block Place. Much nicer. I love quaint street names... literary place names... nature-based names. Parsonage Point, for example, or Deer Run or Beechwood. Streets are fine. Roads, better. Courts? Closes? Yes, please. Avenues and boulevards? Thanks, but no.

It's not just the name, though. The number has to work. Again, not in the superstitious "can't be 666 or 13" way. My street address is a nicely named Court. BUT - and it's a big BUT - my number is in the high hundreds. Better than in the thousands, but really! Courts should never go higher than 20. And any "street" that has a number in the thousands is, well, Not Quite Right. (Take that 1040 Park Avenue!)

City/town names are also one of my "things". Crozet VA, for example - a name to conjure with.

And then there was my best friend in college. He was going to be a minister, a Presbytarian minister. I have no theological arguments for or against Presbytarianism, but I did urge him to convert to Anglicanism. Why? Because Anglican vicars live in vicarages (duh) and then I could live with him and be his housekeeper (while working in a bookshop part time). Lucky for the both of us, his wife and his current congregation, he never did take me up on the suggestion.

Still... anyone know a nice vicarage in a quaintly named town that needs a librarian with a few cats?

No comments: