25.12.08

Definition difference

Tonight, Thing One and I ate dinner with a fire in the fireplace as a background. He was in charge of building the fire, while I was in charge of cooking the dinner.

Shortly after starting the fire, Thing One asked about the flue. I told him "push it forward." He did, and the fire alarm went off.

So, readers, here's the question. When I said "push it forward," I meant "push it away from you." Thing One says that "push it forward" means pushing it towards yourself.

Which of us is right?

4 comments:

Sherri said...

How is something pushed toward one's self?

Just checked Merriam-Webster

1a: to press against with force in order to drive or impel
b: to move or endeavor to move away or ahead by steady pressure without striking
2
a: to thrust forward, downward, or outward

All suggest a direction away from the self. Movement toward the self is pulling.

camillofan said...

I'm with Sherri. You pull things toward yourself; pushing is always away.

Aravis said...

Yes, as Sherri and cam said: push away, pull towards.

You now have three people backing you up. *G*

Jandy said...

Four - Sherri is right on pushing vs pulling.