27.11.08

(I've got) plenty to be thankful for

Thinking back over the past year, I am truly thankful for the changes in my life since last Thanksgiving.

This time last year, there was an incredibly toxic relationship in my life. That has gone. There was another relationship that was almost as toxic, and that has lessened considerably. Several relationships that were unhealthy (but not toxic) are significantly less so or have faded away. I'm thankful for that.

This time last year, my health was undergoing a difficult turn. This year, with the help of some good doctors, a nutritionist, and my practice of ECAM (Energy Conservation and Management), I'm feeling better than before. There's still more to be done, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm thankful for that.

This time last year, I was incredibly stressed - work, health and relationships were taking a toll on me. No longer. For the first time in years, I'm experiencing a very low level of stress and that's an incredibly good feeling. I'm thankful for that.

This time last year, I didn't feel as though my house was coming together. Now it's almost all where I want it to be - painted, nicely furnished, organized. And the fireplace is just so nice to curl up in front of during time off. I'm thankful for that.

This time last year, I wasn't as close to some of my friends as I am now (in part that was due to the stress). Spending time with them at conferences, at dinners and lunches, over e-mail and Facebook are all ways to expand and explore our knowledge of each other and bring good things into each others lives. I'm thankful for that.

Not everything has been great this past year. Losing Lulu was difficult. Having people say extremely nasty, hurtful things to, and about me, still pains me. But those things are in the past and that I can move on. I'm thankful for that.

Believe me, I've got plenty to be thankful for.

1 comment:

Alice in Infoland said...

see this interesting article on the 'science of thanksgiving' and the power of gratitude:
http://www.sfbaytimes.com/index.php?sec=article&article_id=9536