17.8.08

Childhood memories

When I was younger, we used to take long car trips during vacations (my father, currently Professor Emeritus of Theoretical Physics, was then an actual Professor of Theoretical Physics, so he had pretty much the same vacation schedule as my sister and I). We'd sing songs, nap, and sometimes play car games. One game we played was "oh no".

Oh No was a game my father invented. I think. He'd start with a word and define it wrongly - for example, a house was a creature that lived on cheese and said 'squeek'. I'd say "Oh, No, Daddy, you mean mouse". To which he'd respond, "No, a mouse is what you call a bad boyfriend" (meaning, of course, louse). Etc.. I got to insult his definitions, and learned a great deal of vocabulary. Explains a lot about me, doesn't it?

Recently, over on TRP, I feel that we've been playing a similar game. Meg wrote about horror writer M.R. James, but wanted to call him P.D. James, because she vaguely knew that there was a P.D. James somewhere. I pointed out that P.D. James was a mystery writer, with Adam Dalgliesh as her main detective (there's also Cordelia Gray, but she hardly counts). Surely I meant Hamish Dalgliesh, the Scottish detective? Oh No, that'd be Hamish MacBeth, M.C. Beaton's detective.

Can't wait to see who's next!

No comments: