14.7.08

Get over yourselves

(this post was started on June 24... just made it out of draft today!)

As I was checking my usual websites this morning, I came across this story about people not liking iPhones:
Most people either love or hate the iPhone's touch screen, and based on a report on the LA Times, women with long fingernails are among the haters. Why? Well, since the iPhone's touchscreen only responds to electrical charges emitted by your bare fingertips, women with long nails are left out in the cold. A woman interviewed for the article went so far as to suggest Apple was being misogynistic because it did not include a stylus for women and didn't consider womens' fingers and nails when designing the phone.


Uh, no, not necessarily. I've seen the iPhone, and it's cool. But needed? Not really. And my animosity stems less from my nailed (or nailless) state but from the whole "boys-with-toys" ethos. At Thing Two's birthday party this year, there was one iPhone and one iPhoney and the guys flocked around it trying to prove that, well, I'm not sure what they were trying to prove. It's all part of that whole guy-based mentality that I don't quite get.

What I do get is that people with iPhones, Crackberries, etc. are far more likely to spend time on them than with real people - even if real people are in front of them. At far too many meetings I've seen people glance down at their device and then either excuse themselves or deal with the incoming message/URGENT PROBLEM than with the meeting. My thought? Either get rid of the device, or get rid of the meeting. Don't insult us by making it clear that we're less important than what's going on outside.

It goes to my whole "log off/log out/don't always be ON" argument.

And I suspect that the people that have these things are also huge Twits. I'm sorry, but Twitter is yet another way to be less productive and more annoying. Doug's done a long post about Twitiquette, so 'nuf said.

3 comments:

doug0077 said...

Hi Lazy,

I am not sure why the long-fingernailed cannot use the same technique for the iPhone that they use on a keyboard - flattening the fingers so that nails never touch. I would add that this is also biased against Fu Manchu and others for whom long fingernails implies a social status.

The constant need to be in virtual touch with others seems like a form of insecurity to me - especially among teens. Perhaps their own minds are not sufficiently amusing to be content alone for any length of time.

Good post,

iPhone-free Doug

Sherri said...

While I do like my cell phone, I don't like it nearly as much as my husband loves his. For a several years, I would insist he turn the damn thing off when we went out to dinner. The whole "person on phone comes before person in front of you" thing is an ongoing argument.

Thus do I love the voice mail.

camillofan said...

I agree that this is not a deep moral issue, since, as you point out, an iPhone is hardly one of life's necessities. But we're nevertheless looking at a human engineering decision, even if "only" an implicit one, that represents a willingness to exclude members of a population that's overwhelmingly female in composition. And this is something human society is all too good at doing. Thus, as I read your post, though I know I was meant to roll my eyes, I found myself feeling more than a little sympathy for my sharper-clawed sisters.

I'm not saying the decision doesn't make a certain kind of business sense, when one weighs the cost of providing everyone a stylus against the cost of losing some probably-small number of potential buyers from the taloned demographic. But still...