23.7.08

An embarassment of riches

One of the things I love about going away is the opportunity to visit other bookstores, to see what's getting a lot of play in other cities/countries and to pick up stuff that just isn't readily available in my neck of the woods.

Robertson Davies is one example. I love his stuff, and when his biography was released I was so disappointed that it wasn't going to be released in the US for a number of months. Thing One called a Toronto bookstore and had it delivered in time to become a Christmas present (NB: this was before the proliferation of Amazon and other on-line bookstores). Now, I know that the new biography (Master in Mosiac, by Val Ross) has already been released (albeit with a different title), and that I could just go on-line and order it myself. Still, it's so much more satisfying to go into a bookstore and purchase it. Which I did.

Along with these gems:

At the Going Down of the Sun, The Pure in Heart and The Risk of Darkness by Susan Hill (and seriously, why is Ms. Hill so unknown here in the US?)
Nothing to Be Frightened Of by Julian Barnes (not available for another 6 weeks here!)
The Acadians: A People's Story of Exile and Triumph by Dean W. Jobb and The Acadians: in Search of a Homeland by James Laxer (because I find the whole Acadian exile and culture so fascinating)
The Roar of the Butterflies by Reginald Hill (why didn't anyone tell me he had a new, non-Pascoe/Dalziel out?)

And because I can't wait, I also got these from Mystery Guild...
Careless in Red by Elizabeth George and Scared to Live by Stephen Booth

Of course, I still have 52 books left in my Summer Reading Challenge...

1 comment:

stj said...

Isn't it more fun getting the books in the country they originated from?