15.7.08

Annotated Webclutter

Way overdue, but here goes...
  • My friend Nancy recently posted about a site, Easily Amazed, and the new "sister site", Rituals for Healthy Living. As I try to declutter both my work and personal life, I'm finding that ritual does play a real role for me, be it morning exercize, Meeting, or simply clearing my desk each evening. As in all things, YMMV but if you're looking for places to start, these sites are a great help.
  • Along those lines, I've been noticing that I've flagged a number of blog posts about the joys of unplugging, or going slower into all this online life stuff:
    • Too Productive (My Simpler Life): What would happen today if you let those times of waiting, those "unproductive" times nurture you?

    • Blogging/Tweeting/Reading Funk Abatement (Will Richardson): I did manage a Tweet about this a couple of days ago, something along the lines of “how long has it been since you totally turned off for a week?” I got about 30 replies. Most couldn’t remember when. Many were wistful of such an occurrence. So yeah, learning can happen 24/7/365 these days. Don’t have to be connected to do it though. No news there I know, just a friendly reminder to myself.

    • A Slow Community Movement (Nancy White): Have we been “communitied” to death? Has the abundance of choice, the speed with which commercial ventures have yet again jumped on to the “community” bandwagon anesthetized us to what “being together” as a community really is in our lives?

    • I'm a Second Life widow (Cam): I mean it: as much as I once loved my cyber-life, today I think that for 50 cents I'd chuck it all, sell the computers, and become someone who just checks eBay and web-based email at the public library a couple times a week.

    • Instant Messaging for Introverts (Internet Scout Project):IMing and Twitter aren't for everyone, and believe-it-or-not, it's not just about taking a curmudgeonly luddite stance — there actually are valid, practical reasons for always being marked AWAY (or, indeed, never installing an IM client at all).

    • Doug also ponders the meaning of all this connectiveness, and potential over connectedness: Well, I think I have a life. It doesn't include watching much TV, playing golf, or doing as much volunteer work as I should. While Ken and I both have four kids, the LWW and I are empty nesters. (Whew!) So can we gauge by the amount of time we spend on line if we need to "get a life?"
  • Asking the Wrong Questions pointed me to an article about books that have outlived their audience. This got me thinking about the series books I loved as a child that barely leave the shelves here at MPOW: The Saturdays (Enright), Little Women (Alcott), Misty of Chincoteague (Henry), Anne of Green Gables (Montgomery), Little House on the Prairie (Wilder), etc. Have these books outlived their audience? What will happen to Harry Potter (which many peers already report as "not flying off the shelves"), and other currently hot reads?
  • On the other hand, the Atlantic Monthly article Is Google making us stupid? has created a lot of discussion. I think that we're creating a generation of non-readers with all our technoschooling, but as long as books can create "buzz" (midnight release party for Breaking Dawn, anyone?), there's hope. It's a question of creating time and space to read, and accepting that sometimes, you have to work hard.
  • The summer, two friends from MPOW are getting married. This is two of around six weddings the school can celebrate. One of the things that makes these two stand out is that until recently, neither of my colleagues could marry legally - now they are, in Massachusetts. Quakers have great guidelines for weddings and marriage vows. I wish other states were more enlightened and allowed all couples to marry (after all, most of the objections are based in religious reasons, and don't we have a separation of church and state here?).

1 comment:

doug0077 said...

Hi Lazy,

Unless it impacts one's job performance, I have a tough time telling people how they should or shouldn't spend their leisure time.

If it is blogging for me and golfing for you, who should care? The argument is a as fruitless as debating whether apple pie or chocolate pie is the best (yes, pun intended).

Doug