2.3.08

Change happens

I've been mulling this for a while, particularly since my life underwent Big Changes recently. I'm not one of those "oooh, let's change things" types, I'm more of a nester. For me, bliss is having my little family around me, snuggled into my bed or a comfy couch in front of the fire. I even have problems going to work!

I recognize that not everyone is like that. It takes a certain type of courage to upstakes and change your life. I know: I did it during the summer of 2005, when I left Thing One and the home we'd shared for 12 years, MFPOW (8 years there) and the city I'd lived in for 21 years. Thing One can tell you that to this day I'll call in tears asking if I can come home now (note: he moved out of our apartment into another one, but he's still in the same neighborhood). It's been a very scary ride.

My friend H. is doing the Big Change thing later this month. She's leaving the only area she's ever lived in to move literally across country to work. She's a nurse and is on a "visiting" contract for 13 weeks. Still, she's leaving her two cats and dog at home, where they and her stuff will be cared for. If it doesn't work out, she can go home again, and if it does, she can opt for another 13 weeks somewhere else.

Thing Two may (will?) be out of a job in June, when the company he works for closes. What his next step will be is anyone's guess - but I'm sure it isn't easy for him to think about the potential new futures he's facing. Like me, he's a nester, addicted to routine.

One person in my department joined us last year from California. The fire destroyed all the personal professional items that had been collected over the years: the book notes, the personal cards, all that went into Who I Am. Poof. It's still shocking and the sense of loss is still overwhelming. It's not hard to understand why; it's far more difficult to figure out how to overcome it.

Change - big, meaningful, powerful change - is never easy. Whether we bring it on ourselves or have it thrust upon us (with, or without notice) it's a difficult thing to get over. Sometimes the little things are the ones that get us the most - different names for stores, or not finding a favorite top.

Change will happen, even to the most careful and cautious of us. Here's to getting through it, with friends. Because without them...

2 comments:

Sherri said...

I tend to be like that, but at the same time, I will make sweeping changes in my life and be ok. Changes from outside are what I don't like. Changes I start are just fine and dandy. Changes from elsewhere piss me off.

Speaking of which, this week has had 3 whole different people come look at my house to possibly buy it. That's more than the whole July-December period last year. I am now in a serious Totally Clean House period. If you have some spare time, drop a good thought I survive it.

Alice in Infoland said...

Keep in mind Linda Ellerbee's 5 rules for surviving change:
1. Do it your way, because you are just as likely to right as anyone else.
2. The best things in life aren't things.
3. It is every citizen's duty to keep her or his mouth open.
4. If you don't want to get old, don't mellow.
5. A good time to laugh is any time you can.