26.12.07

Cultural literacy

"Need another Timmy"

"Not the Mamma"

"My cousin's more of a Fester, but [Thing Two] is sort-of like the Xerox guy"


Cam was wondering about shared cultural references (mostly vis-a-vis her students).

Yesterday, Thing One and I watched Dinosaurs - the source of the first two quotes. The second came during a conversation with one of my colleagues (during a discussion about male hair). How many people know all of those references? How many know where Thing One and Thing Two come from (recent parents excluded)?

The thing is, as one of Cam's commenters stated, culture shifts - our points of reference change based on time and experience. For example, I've never been to a Piggly-Wiggly (isn't that a game, not a supermarket?) because of where I grew up. Thing Two didn't grow up in America, so many commercial and tv references are lost on him. Thing One is nine years older than I, so his references are different based on age and the Vietnam era. My mother taught me the Wildroot Creme Oil jingle - am I a throwback (I also can recognize when it's "too late for Herpicide!").

Don't know quite where this post is going, but I do know that I'm not really worrying if my friends, family, colleagues or students can't always follow my allusions. I'm sure we'll find our own Darmok, somehow.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

For Darmok, I adore you :)

I grew up in a town with 2 Piggly-Wiggly's, and even an A & P. Those are all gone, now, at least from this area, but I think at least the PW exists where I will be moving.

The hardest part of moving to a completely new area for me is learning what the grocery stores are called.