25.3.07

Catching Up

I've been settling in, getting ready for Spring Break (always good to have time off), reading, etc.. and not doing too much blogging. That doesn't mean I've not been thinking, however! There are 33 posts flagged in my RSS feeds that will get some sort of response soon.

Until then, let me tell you a little about the reading I've been doing. I read an adult ARC (rather than the Children's/Young Adult ones) that I just didn't care about (All Saints, by Liam Callanan). I know I'm trying to become less of a "clean plate" reader, but there was something about this book - it tried so hard, and it felt that somehow, at some point, I was supposed to care about the characters and their story. The problem was, I didn't. It was like when I read Confederacy of Dunces. Just waiting and waiting for the wonder to kick in. But it didn't. It left me with that vaguely dissatisfied feeling, as though perhaps it was my reading and not the writing that was at fault. I know that's not the case, but still...

My next read left me feeling very satisfied. Death Comes for the Fat Man, the latest Dalziel/Pascoe, was such a pleasure to read. I know, I know, it's genre fiction and somehow suspect. Tough. Hill's writing is good, the plot works, and it was an enjoyable few hours. I don't watch the televised versions because it's not really Dalziel (if you haven't read the books, you won't know what I mean, but trust me: the portrayal is lacking). I can't really talk about this book without spoiling it for others, but it's definitely a worthy addition to the series.

Finally, I read On Hitler's Mountain. Usually, the Holocaust-related books are not on my reading list (chalk it up to growing up in a survivor community). But this one seemed different and it was. Ms. Hunt, the author, was born in '34 and lived in Berchtesgaden (near the Hitler retreats of Eagle's Nest and Obersalzberg). Her insiders tale of what it was like to be born into Nazi Germany, that close to Hitler (at one point, she even sits on his knee), and how this all was just "normal", is very worth the time spent reading.

Today I'm tidying up the office space (trying to find my driver's license, among other things) and then I might even blog some more! Or I might read something new off Mt. Bookpile. We'll see.

Oh: added bonus: next week, there might be pictures!

No comments: