11.11.06

We can handle it

I just finished Chew on This, a book about the fast food industry. It's not as sensational as, say, Fast Food Nation or Spurlock's Super Size Me, which I liked. That's not to say that it supported the industry (although the authors did point out a few places where they're "doing it right" - and those aren't the places that currently litter our towns and strip malls), just that they tried to be rather factual about things.

All-in-all it wasn't a bad read... except... They were describing conditions for the various animals, and some of the problems with health conditions in the packing plants, and they kept using the words "poo" and "pee". Every time I saw those words I just cringed. Why? Because it seems to me that in this sort of book, it's OK to use the Real Words. It's OK to be accurate. Using that terminology just sounds so childish and I suspect that others will cringe much as I have.

On the other hand, it was an ARC so perhaps some editor somewhere's cleaned it up.

2 comments:

Aravis said...

I would have burst out laughing at the use of "poo" and "pee" in this book! I'm with you. I think after reading that the first time the credibility of the author would have been shot, regardless of whether or not they had their facts straight.

Lazygal said...

Aravis, I would have laughed but that would have disturbed The Boys. It would have been such a good book to get for MPOW, but I can't see anyone taking it seriously (I'll check it at a bookstore to see if they've changed the language any).