29.9.06

Inquiring Minds...

One of my colleagues plays organ, on Sundays, at a church near where he lives. That gig ended, and he's looking for a new church for whom to play. Semi-jokingly, I said that the synagogue my parents belong to has a choir and organ - perhaps he'd consider losing a Testament and gaining a job?

This opened a conversation about reading Jewish music. Most of us had seen transliterated Hebrew on sheet music, which reads left to right. But what about actual Hebrew sheet music? Like Hebrew writing, do you read it right to left?

Inquiring minds...

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Years ago I worked at a synagogue. The Kantor there sometimes talked to me about music, but I never saw any sheet music. I only saw sheets with words that had little marks above them, which he said sort of "suggested" what the melody line was supposed to be. Most of these sheets were used by the kids having bar/bat mitzvahs. He taught me the only song in Hebrew I ever memorized...I still remember it, mostly because it had only 3 words.

Lazygal said...

That's not quite what I'm talking about - that's from the actual literugy and no, there are no written melodys (actually the "suggestions" date back several thousand years!). I'm talking about something on the Israeli Hit Parade... and clearly, no one knows the answer to that!