12.8.06

Stolen Book Meme

I saw this on some of the academic blogs, but didn't get up the nerve to steal it until I saw it on Big A little a (I even stole the title of the post!). Because I read so widely, I'm changing it back to any book...

1. One book that changed your life?

In Pursuit of Wisdom
by Abraham Kaplan.

2. One book you have read more than once?

Up a Road Slowly, by Irene Hunt. I don't know why I've read this about once/year since... well, forever... but I have. However, Goodnight, Moon probably clocks in as 'book most read'.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

Only one? That's so difficult. I'll go with A Dance to the Music of Time by Anthony Powell (multiple volume category). In the single volume category, either Essential C. S. Lewis or A Mind Awake: An Anthology of C. S. Lewis

4. One book that made you laugh?

Easy: Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.

5. One book that made you cry?

Recently? Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston (as explained here)

6. One book you wish had been written?

I honestly can't think of one right now. Some sequel, I suppose, but I do get irritated when Book Two isn't as good as Book One.

7. One book you wish had never been written?

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton or The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Among many others.

8. One book you are currently reading?

Resolute, by Martin Sandler. The prose is iffy (I'll write about that later), but the story is absolute fascinating.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

Picked at random, from Mt. Bookpile: Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (hey - it could just as easily have been EastEnders, Friendship or Beyond the Looking Glass!)


10. Now tag five people:

I'm going to go over five - Bri, Karmon, Cam, Aravis, Sherri, Coco and Alice. And anyone out there in the edubiblioblogosphere that wants to play.

3 comments:

Karmon said...

When G.K. Chesterton was asked which book he would choose if he were marooned on a desrt island, he answered, Thomas' Guide to Practical Shipbuilding. I wish I'd thought of it.

Sherri said...

Hey! Ok, ok ;)

FOucault's Pendulum -- read that years ago. Didn't understand a lot of it, but bits of it have stuck with me, and stuck hard, ever since.

Lazygal said...

Kar, I think people forget that desert island does not always equal unescapable. I guess that Robinson Crusoe and that Tom Hanks film (not to mention "Lost") have drilled that into people's minds.