8.7.06

Summertime, and the livin' is...

Lazy.

You knew that was coming right?

Once the kids are out of the building, things slow down. There's more time to read, to organize, to think, to veg... all the things that make summer summer.

And, apparently, there's more time to have bizarre dreams. I just thought I'd share it with y'all, in case anyone has any insight.
If you know me, you know that my hair is what today is called "long" (I remember when it was only long when it got below the waist, which mine is not quite... but I'll go with the modern definition). It's also very limp and has no body or desire to do anything. All my life I've been plagued with stylists that insist that they can get my hair to do something, and I've ended up with the worst looking cuts because they need styling and my hair does not do styling.

So, in my dream, I was home in Smalltown, and for some reason my sister was there. She has (or had) perfect hair. But I got the brains, so that's ok. {g} Anyway, she volunteered to trim my hair, and because she's done it before and done it well (straight, not shaggy), I let her. Instead of a trim, she chopped off over a foot! Suddenly, my hair's ear-level!

The dream was so vivid, that when I woke it took a few minutes to convince myself that I still had my hair, that it was only a dream...
Any ideas?

2 comments:

Sherri said...

argh! Hair anxiety!

Due to some unfortunate youthful incidents involving chewing gum and dressmaker's shears, my mother kept my hair short when I was small. When I reached my teens, she agreed that I could let it grow if I took care of it. Since I hated short hair, I was PARANOID about it. My aunt was a hair dresser, and I make sure she trimmed it to the half inch.

Then my late twenties happened and I got the first of many really bad haircuts. My hair was waistlength, and that just set stylists off. My hair is also thick and IT DOES NOT DO "STYLE". It does it's own thing, no matter what.

I've had my hair now at every length from just below my ears to past my butt. For me, longer is better. Short frees my mutant cowlicks to climb up my nose, hang in my eyes, and defy hair clips. When its long I can get a rope around it and make it behave.

And I've had more than one dream where someone shaved my head and I knew I'd have to go through all those stages of hair before it got long enough to be liveable. ARGH.

Lazygal said...

Thick? Wow. I can't imagine thick hair. Mine's thin and just hangs there.

It actually looks ok short, but it's too much time/trouble to keep looking good (all those trims!). I spend 3-5 minutes combing/bunning in the morning and get it cut every six months. Couldn't be easier.

If you're ever in NYC, btw, Serena's the gal to see. She'll make you feel so normal that you'll wonder how you ever went to anyone else!