9.5.06

My bifurcated life

I haven't written much about The Big Life Change recently, mainly because the trauma has subsided to a large extent. However...

One of the "blessings" of moving to my new place has been that I'm relatively close to my old life - I can see people with some regularity, for example. Another example is that I didn't have to change my ob/gyn (no, this isn't going to be a TMI post). That blessing, however, can also be a curse.

Take Saturday, when I went to Brooklyn for a first comunion. The subways were doing their usual weekend maintenance/bad signage thing, so I got a little waylaid. I ended up taking "my" subway to "my" stop. It was pretty traumatic - being at the diner for breakfast, feeling as though I should be going home instead of just visiting. Yes, I've been to Brooklyn before (and eaten in "my" restaurant, shopped in "my" shops, etc.) but this was the closest to actually going home in the usual way than I'd done since last June.

Then today I went to see my ob/gyn. I've been going to this practice since 1987, and they've been really great. When I had my pre-checkup chat with the doctor, she asked all the usual questions. Then she asked how I'd been in the year since my last visit - was anyone famous at my school now? It struck me that she didn't know about The Big Life Change. It felt very odd to be in a place I'd been going to for years, talking to someone I'd known for years, and to know that she didn't know how things had radically changed in my life. It's not that there's any reason she should have known, it's just that it felt like any other year... except...

Tags:

1 comment:

business voodoo said...

... hmmmmmmm
thinking .....
is it a good thing (yes it is) that major internal (or personal) changes do not affect one's expression in the world ... or is it? i don't think i know how to do that, i think i would like to be able to do that, but its definitely not my natural way of being. if something major (or even minor) changes in my life, people usually can see it every time. (not such a good thing all the time!)

interesting blog ...
peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'