30.5.06

Imponderables

Some time ago I posted a link to the EPA's Fuel Economy site. I've been keeping track of my mileage, which is anal but interesting. Lifehacker recently had a post about saving gas - which is important not just for the environment, etc, but because it saves money (and who doesn't need more money?!).

One of the "yeah-I-know-this-already" tips is about going slower. Not slllooooooowwwww, but, you know, not going 75+. So, I've been trying to do that - stay below 70 unless you HAVE to pass someone. And it's been amazing: 37mph combined city/highway on my last tank!

Here's the thing that bothers me. As I was driving home yesterday, there were long stretches of highway with no traffic. Me, and way off in the distance, someone else. And it was mostly straight driving, too, with no real twisty curves you couldn't see around. I had some great music on, just bopping down the highway to home. Should have been a nice ride, right? Except... these *(_#&$!@ SUV drivers kept zooming up to me, riding my ass for at least half a mile before suddenly swerving into the passing lane. It's not like they couldn't see me and move into that lane waaaay before they actually got to my car. No. They were in it for the fun of trying to prove that they're bigger, better, faster, more idiotic than I am - or that they just don't know how to drive. Either/or.

I just don't get it. Is it really that fun to tailgate when there's no other traffic?

Tags: ,

1 comment:

stj said...

it's because these SUV drivers know that they're impervious to anything/anyone unless it's an 18 wheeler. they know they're king of the road(s). hate to say it but most of the men I know who has one it's the old size thing.....