26.5.06

A backwards glance

Cam is just filled with good thoughts these days. Today she took on the ubiquity of the Standing O (hint: we think alike about this one) and the other day she posted a meme about looking back.

So, here's my look:

1) How old were you?
THEN: 23
NOW: 43

2) Where did you go to school?
THEN: Nowhere. I was working.
NOW: A private school in Westchester County, New York.

3) Where did you work?
THEN: I was at Theatre Communications Group, working as the Assistant Business Manager (primary responsibilies were Accounts Receivable and helping automate the business office)
NOW: see (2) above

4) Where did you live?
THEN: In an apartment near Brooklyn College
NOW: In a 20x20' cottage in Rockland County, New York

5) How was your hairstyle?
THEN: Long, straight. Usually in a ponytail.
NOW: God, I'm so boring. Same style, but during the workday I do the bun.

6) Did you wear braces?
THEN: Thank god, finally NO.
NOW: Still no.

7) Did you wear contacts?
THEN: No
NOW: No. I'm going to quote Cam here: "Look, there are two kinds of people in the world: those who will touch their eyeballs for fashion's sake, and those who couldn't do it for any reason. I'm in group two."

8) Did you wear glasses?
THEN: Yep. Been wearing them since 1971
NOW: Still doing it (see above re: contacts). Only now I have those cool ones that darken when you go outside. And they're only for distance, so I'm not a complete bunhead stereotype.

9) Who was your best friend?
THEN: I'd have to say a toss-up between Rob, Nancy and Tobe. Still close with Nancy and Tobe, but lost touch with Rob. His loss.
NOW: The two men in my life, Michael and Mark. But a slew of others come in second place.

10) Which of your pets were still alive?
THEN: None. This was a year before my beloved Howard came into my life; I'd grown up in a petless house (thanks, Dad).
NOW: Mallory and Bogie. And Lulu, but she's living with Daddy.

11) Who was your boyfriend/girlfriend?
THEN: Would you believe: never had a boyfriend.
NOW: Again with the boring: never had a boyfriend. Did get married once, though...

12) Who was your celebrity crush?
THEN: You expect me to remember? Uh, Kenneth Brannagh. Derek Jacobi. Bruce Willis. Christopher Reeve.
NOW: Hugh Laurie. Antonio Bandaras.

13) Who was your regular-person crush?
THEN: If I could remember, I'd tell you.
NOW: You expect me to name names? Here? In public????

14) How many piercings did you have?
THEN: One in each ear.
NOW: Boring, boring, boring.

15) How many tattoos did you have?
THEN: You think my mother would have let me live if I'd gotten a tattoo? Pierced ears were difficult enough!
NOW: Why? Lap choli scarring is sexy enough.

16) What was your favorite band/singer?
THEN: Jethro Tull. Toyah. Kate Bush.
NOW: Kate Bush. Michel Rivard. Liane Foly.

17) Had you smoked cigarettes?
THEN: Yep. Used to go to the smoking area at prep school and smoke after watching General Hospital (note: this was before 1980)
NOW: No.

18) Had you gotten drunk?
THEN: Yes. Sadly.
NOW: Maybe one or two other times. Nothing with in the past 10 years.

19) Had you driven?
THEN: Of course! I was raised in upstate NY, where it's as expected as breathing.
NOW: Yes. Getting to work would be difficult otherwise.

20) If so which car?
THEN: My father's Volvo 144 (electric smurf blue!), or a rental.
NOW: A 2005 Toyota Corolla. The first car I've ever owned.

21) Looking back, are you where you thought you would be in 2006?
In a weird way, yes. I'd always sort of known I wanted to be librarian, it just took sidetrips through finance and human resources (many permutations of each, and in several industries) to get me here.

Tags: ,

No comments: