28.2.06

Memories...

Bri is blogging about a book unit she's doing, using The Wizard of Oz as an example of books made into movies (we know how I feel about that, don't we?).

It got me remembering the first time I really saw that movie. We were living in Ohio, and my father and I were making our first color tv (Heathkit - and I learned to solder). Anyway, there was this rush on because The Wizard was going to be on tv that night, in what was one of its first color broadcasts. So I was supposed to be really excited.

The tv finished and on, I sat down. The peacock came out and spread its grey-tone tale. Yawn. The opening credits. Yawn. Yeah, yeah over the grey rainbow. Then the tornado and that scene with the door opening into Oz. Blew.Me.Away. Totally. For the first time in my life I was scared of the witch. It was simply amazing. I'd never seen anything like it, yet all to quickly the "magic" of color tv faded for me.

But that first view? Priceless.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

I don't remember the first show I ever saw in color, but I do remember our first color TV. It was a huge wooden console model, from back when TV was furniture, not appliance. I was probably 2 or just barely 3 when we got it. I remember seeing Star Trek in color, and being terrified of Spock. And I remember the wizard of Oz in color, because the Tin Man scared me more than the witch ever could. I don't know why, but I would have nightmares about a giant Tin Man stepping on our house. And I remember that Captain Kangaroo's coat was red.

camillofan said...

I, too, remember the family's first color TV. Until we got it, I would be genuinely baffled when that NBC peacock appeared on the screen before certain programs while the announcer promised "in color," only for the show to come on our TV in the usual black and white!

The night my parents brought the thing home, I think Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (the one with Leslie-Anne Whoever and Alan Quartermain) was being shown (it might have been a rebroadcast). I'm not sure we got the thing hooked up in time to see that program-- was it in color?

On the subject of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz, am I the only one who mostly can't stand it? I'm not saying it doesn't have its moments, and my siblings and I did faithfully watch it every year when it was broadcast in the spring (talk about your event TV: Mom let us have TV dinners, eaten on a tray in the living room, on Oz night!). But the movie mostly creped me out. Everything in it is so... over-ripe: those Munchkins, Judy Garland playing a child, the intense color (after a while)... Add that ridiculous Lion, the scary monkeys, and those poppies, and I'm squirming.