12.12.05

Maybe I'm just too old

I'm reading a YA book and I'm really enjoying the plot. But (and this is the troubling thing), I'm wondering how I can put this on my shelves when within the first five pages there's cursing ("shit" and "fuckin'") and a scene where the hero (in 10th grade) feels up his girlfriend. I know kids that would like this book are also kids that have probably seen "Sex and the City" and "The Sopranos" and viewed far worse in the movies.

Still...

So I wonder, am I too far behind the times? Perhaps I'm needlessly worrying about the impact of this type of book (after all, we do have Boy Meets Boy on the shelves). It's just that there's this voice in me saying, "I don't think so."

Should I listen? Or should I get a second opinion?

4 comments:

stj said...

I see your apprehension about this and believe that you should get a second opinion. Am not a librarian or a father but would have the same problem with something like this on the shelves where anyone could read it and could cause problems. Possibly I'm farther behind the times but have a problem with the other book you mentioned as well.
Guess the PC police will be after me but don't think that everything should be there for the asking at all times.

Aravis said...

This is not to say that you're old at all, but when I was in 7th and 8th grade in the early 80's, everyone swore and girls were getting felt up and more. Half of the time I was late to class because I couldn't get to my locker; the girl whose locker was above mine was always pressed against it while making out with her boyfriend in the halls! I'm not saying that's right; just how it goes. A book such as the one you describe might read as more realistic to the students than many other books on the shelves. Again, not to say that it's right. But to not include it because of language or sexual situations feels a little like censorship. If fifteen by Judy Blume can be on bookshelves (and yes, I remember the furor that caused) I suppose a book like this could go into a library as well.

It's up to the kids and their parents what they read.

hsl said...

Just because its happening in real life doesn't mean that the book should be on the shelves.

Lazygal said...

Update: the main character often (almost always) refers to his father as "the wop". Nope, sorry, it's not going on the shelves. I'll be interested to see how many schools actually buy this one.