27.10.05

Yes, Mom

Like Mom (and MOM), I have Reynauds. So I'm usually cold way before anyone else is. And, thanks to a recent bout of mono (Yes, I know, mono in your 40s is very embarrassing. Can we not talk about it any more?), I need to be careful about catching colds and viri and all - and let's not forget that working in a school = working in a germ factory.

This is the first year I have to pay for my own heat. I've been diligently following the news and it's going to be expensive. So I set my termostat so that when I was up and puttering, it'd be 65; 60 when I wasn't. It got really cold, which is odd because it should feel warm at 60 when it's in the 40s outside. But it doesn't and I'm not science-minded enough to understand why.

Anyway, last night, my mother insisted that I move the temp. to 68 when I'm up and about, 65 when I'm not.

If I go broke paying for this... Still, I suppose it'll offset my support of all the cold remedy companies...

ETA: walking into my 68 degree cottage was pretty nice; oddly enough, the bedroom hasn't warmed up yet. If it ever will. Still, I have my flannel 'jammies and sheets and two comforters to keep me warm!

5 comments:

Karmon said...

My power company has an "energy saver" payment option. I pay the same amount every month, which means that I overpay when the weather is nice, but the money is banked for the worst weather. And it gives me a predictable bill. It may be something to explore.

Sherri said...

Maybe we should just all send you some really, really, REALLY warm socks ;>

stj said...

Or....since your Mom has no problem with moving up your thermostat (termostat?)she could kindly give you money for the extra expense of the heat. Be cheaper than having to pay for visits to the hospital when you catch pneumonia.

Aravis said...

Your mother is right; those temps were too cold and unhealthy. I was going to suggest the same thing Karmon did. Randy and I have done it for a few years now and it's really helpful, especially with the winters we've been having.

Lazygal said...

Sherri, I have microwaveable socks! As for the rest, we'll see how bad it is after my first bill comes in.