30.10.05

I just don't get it

Over the past week, a few articles (on- and off-line)have caught my eye. For example, there's this post about iPod Video. And this article about how large and small screens are getting. I'm amazed that anyone thinks all this is necessary: just because we can have it, does that mean it's a good thing or that we should have it?

What precipitated this extended period of mulling was this post, where Library Bitch asks "Honestly, has our culture grown to the point where we can't be separated from mass media for a fucking hour now?" I'd add, have we devolved to the point where we can't be unreachable and quiet for any amount of time? is it really necessary to go to dinner (in a very posh restaurant) with your cell phone still on, or tucked into your ear?

The number of devices that are multi-taskers has grown. I don't want a cell phone that takes pictures and surfs the web, just as I don't want a toaster that will also iron my shirts and make my bed. I want one thing that does that thing well. And it doesn't have to be electronic. "Analog" still works for me.

And I want to feel ok about turning it all off for a while. Like now.

5 comments:

Aravis said...

Oh I don't know, I wouldn't mind a gadget that could make my breakfast, make my bed and warm my sheets all at once! *G*

I don't believe it's the gadgets' fault so much as it's the responsibility of the people wielding them. It's up to the person to disconnect. I think the real issue is the fact that so many people can't do this. I like to play with my toys, but then I'm happy to turn them off and just Be. I think I'll follow your example and do that now. :0)

Karmon said...

I have minimal cable tv. My nieces spent the weekend at my house, and they discovered there are no cartoons on tv on Sunday mornings. I shut off the box, and they played happily without the white noise. On the other hand, we we take long trips with the girls, I really appreciate the DVD player in Mom's van. I've never heard them ask, "are we there yet?" Toys are great in moderation.

Lazygal said...

Karmon, whatever happened to playing games or having a sing-along in the car? We never asked "are we there yet" (including the summer we drove across country) because my parents provided alternatives to just sitting quietly without a DVD. It may shut the kids up, but it's also not having them interact and use their minds. And it's being proven that the DVD player is a distraction for the driver...

chorus girl said...

Preach it, sister!

ms.bri said...

I TOTALLY want a toaster that will also iron my shirts and make my bed. Sign me right on up.