Here are a few examples:
- Inkspell (Funke's sequel to Inkheart): 672 pages
- Wizards at War (the latest in Duane's Young Wizards series): 560 pages
- Magyk (Annie Sage): 576 pages
- Amulet of Samarkand (second in Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy): 462 pages
- The Will of the Empress (Pierce's Four Mages reunited): 320 pages
- Peter and the Starcatchers (Barry & Pearson): 442 pages
How do kids manage? Are they really going to enjoy a 1,000-page, 5lb epic simply because there's hype? I'd love to believe that we're growing a nation of readers, but I fear we're scaring them off with ever bigger, heavier books that take forever to read.