3.6.05

Bad Baggage

Sherri has a very poignant post about Getting over it ("it" being all the negative stuff that we all manage to carry around with us).

I, too, have been thinking a lot about this because of the Big Life Change that happens -- gulp! -- this month. While I recognize that this isn't all that rare, that people often change jobs and cities and all that on a regular basis (one friend is leaving her job in Jakarta, changing careers and continents in one fell swoop), for me it is. It's becoming more and more obvious that I'm a nester, that moving and change are difficult for me.

Yet, in an attempt to go against my natural inclinations, I'm trying to view this a "a good thing", as an opportunity to not just pack things and bring it all with me, but to choose what to bring in a judicious manner. The psychic baggage is every bit as much a part of that as the physical items.

Watch out world: it's a whole new me!

4 comments:

Aravis said...

It's never easy sorting through the physical or emotional baggage we've accumulated over time. It's worthwhile, though. Best wishes and good luck with it!

Alice in Infoland said...

I know someone who has successfully survived several BLCs in the past decade. One of her strategies is to get rid of any baggage-connected clothing ASAP, because she doesn't ever want to wear those memories again. She also insists on wearing brand-new underwear for the first week of any (planned) BLC -- as in 'start fresh, from the skin out.'

Lazygal said...

So, Alice, you buyin'? All my clothes are "baggage-connected"...

Alice in Infoland said...

Be reasonable!!
I'm talkin' major-baggage clothes; like the dress she wore to her 22-yr-old brother's funeral.
Even though the dress still fits, it will always remind her of that terrible day.