9.5.05

Which side are you on?

Seth Godin discusses the new digital divide and says "I think a new divide has opened up, one that is based far more on choice than on circumstance." He's right.

My choice is to straddle the divide: I use Firefox, but I watch Brian Williams. I use RSS, but can't stand Slashdot or BoingBoing. I prefer reading my news the old-fashioned way (paper). I enjoy keeping up with friends the new fashioned way (e-mail). What does this say about me?

I think it says that I know what's out there and have made choices based not on what's hip, what's hot, but on what works for me. What works for me may not work for everyone, and that's fine. The important thing is that people should be able to make those choices, not have change foisted upon them (as I've learned when trying to set up new phone service and they damn nearly thrust "extras" down my throat - I don't want Caller ID or Call Waiting, thank you, I just want to have a dial tone that leads me to whomever I'm calling!). Equally important is knowing what's out there so that you can choose.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Monday.

No comments: