12.5.05

More battle of the books

Karmon posted about my post, adding this about audiobooks:
But what I'm surprised about is that people don't express the same distaste for audio books. Personally I don't find them appealing. There is no physical connection to the book when it goes audio. (Does it even still qualify as a book?) I don't like people talking at me (I never listen to morning radio), and the person reading does not move through the words at the same pace I do. Plus, the narrator stands between me and the story, putting his or her interpretation and "voice" into the reading. I have MY imagination to do that. Furthermore, I like to go back and reread passages, especially if I find them moving. The rewind button is a less than accurate way to do this. After a few dissatisfying experiences with audio books, I've found I don't like them.
I have to be honest, I've never tried an audiobook. Not from a snobby standpoint, nor for the same reasons Kar suggests, but because I can't follow the narrative. If you read anything longer than a paragraph to me, I get lost if I can't see the words. Simple as that.

Then there's this discussion thread on Eclectic Librarian about the "uber-wired woman" (who prefers "analog" books to e-books). It's like I said in this post: you need to choose what works for you. Just seems that a whole lot of people think books work better than "that other format".

1 comment:

Sherri said...

My mother-in-law listens almost strictly to audio-books. She drives a lot and doesn't care much to listen to music in the car, I guess.

I go back and forth. I've got a series of audio books I'm actually collecting. I also have the print versions, which usually come out long before the audio books. Even though I'd read the books, I listen to the audio versions because of the VOICE of the man who is reading them.

It helps that the books are written 1st person and the reader has this incredible voice that fits the narrative character perfectly.

I've a set of the Chronicals of Narnia from a BBC radio play that made me realize, after so long and having read the books so many times, how truly STUPID the main characters in the books were. I don't know why I didn't notice before.

And I've had a set of books that I gave away because the reader's voice set my teeth on edge (it was Richard Crenna, I think, reading the Bourne books). Certain books work on audio for, me, others don't. Mysteries and thrillers work very well. How to books are pretty good. High literature/classics/ anything 19th century or earlier doesn't seem to work so well for me, even though it was quite common in those times to listen to someone read a book aloud for family entertainment.

My husband almost never reads a book if he can hear it instead. This is, I've learned, because he loved being read to as a child. Ah...isn't it wonderful to have choices