19.5.05

Imponderables

Every morning, as I walk to the subway, there is one street that I cross that is filled with taxis. These cars are empty, ferrying their drivers from the company base to Manhattan, and there's nothing the drivers would like better than to have a fare as they cross the Brooklyn Bridge. If, like me, you're cheap and don't want to pay more than $2 to get to work, you learn to stand with your hands in your pockets, staring either at your feet or straight ahead, so that the drivers don't think that you want a cab.

What always surprises me is, after I've let ten cabs go by, the eleventh slows down - like his is the one I've been waiting for!

1 comment:

Sherri said...

They live in hope, I guess. Maybe they somehow magically think that you are looking at all those cabs, and suddenly you feel soooo tired....

Or it's just the Random Stupid Thing.