27.5.05

I'd like to say something...

the problem is, I'm not sure I can.

This morning, at breakfast, one of my colleagues mentioned that she has a real problem with the students: they have nothing to say. "I have [subject] with you next period" is their idea of conversation. She's sick of it and them.

Of course, that got me wondering. I have a good relationship with most of the students. Does that mean that I, too have nothing to say? Or does it mean that the bar I set for good conversation is that much lower?

Until I figure it out, I think I'll stay quiet.

4 comments:

Aravis said...

There are, of course, other options as well. It could well be that she is burnt out and lacks the ability or desire to relate and communicate with her students. You, on the other hand, genuinely like them and actually talk to them, so they to talk to you and in front of you.

Just a thought.

Alice in Infoland said...

Perhaps those students don't WANT to talk to her: if their response is that curt it's very likely they don't want to prolong the encounter outside of class!!

Lazygal said...

She's one of the favorite teachers, and they (the students) think that they *can* talk to her. She has a point about their idea of conversation; I have heard many a "I have Storytelling" or "I have World History next period" comment passing as a conversation that we, the teachers, are supposed to be interested in continuing. The fact that I can tolerate it either means that things are way too lonely in the library or I'm a bad conversationalist or (worse yet) I communicate on their level. Or all three.

Gerald Lipman said...

Whatever...