1.5.05

Choices

Well, I did it. After a lot of looking this weekend, I found a place to live next year (for those of you not in the ed. biz, that's next school year, which starts 1 July 2005). I'm as excited about that as I am about my new car... and, at the same time, terrified. This place is tiny, less than 1/2 the size of what I have now. But I get a private patio/backyard, and it's all mine. Not an apartment, not a townhouse (with "amenities" which I'll never use) - a cottage. Cathedral ceilings even. Tiny, right now, works for me. I don't think I could handle more than tiny, with the other changes in my life.

So: new car, new space, new job. All checked off the Life To-Do in 2005 list.

Now the big question is, since my place is so tiny, what happens to The Collection. The one pushing 2500 items. The one that basically defines my life. Good question. I already know that some things (furniture, tchotkes that I can't part with right now) are just going to have to go into storage for the year, it's The Collection that's the problem. I'd love to be able to say "I'm taking all my favorites with me" but that's just not practical. Fewer than 50 would be left behind.

My current thinking is to bring all C.S. Lewisiana, professional and Children's/YA, along with some cookbooks and reference materials. And Mt. Bookpile. That should only take about four bookcases (the 84" ones). The rest - the Lit/Fic, the SciFi, Horror, Bio, Mystery, History, Philosophy, Religion, Humor and Misc. books - well, I know they'll be safe in storage. And I could always visit, or bring a box of books coming off Mt. Bookpile to join them. The thing is, even with the bulk of The Collection in storage, I'll still be surrounded by books.

Isn't that a comforting thought!

4 comments:

Alice in Infoland said...

Well, you could always use some of The Collection AS furniture... in crates, artfully arranged and/or draped, as needed.

Aravis said...

Despite the book storage problem, it sounds charming. It sounds like a lovely retreat at the end of a hard day's work. I'm so glad you found a nice place to live. :0)

Santanu said...

I have a transferrable job and can very well relate with your dilemma. With every new posting, we have to make tough decisions on what to carry and what to drop. Looking at the brighter side, it's one fine way of getting rid of junk - you are forced to take decisions which you have deferred for long!
As for books, some we have donated, some we still carry, but most are stacked away 1000kms away in another country :-( Hope you have better luck :-)

Lazygal said...

Santanu, my boxes will be a few minutes drive away - I can visit them at any time. And Alice, that's a great idea but I'd be worried about damaging them (I'm very careful with The Collection, to the point where some people don't like borrowing my paperbacks because they look unread).