18.2.05

Taking Time

Today starts our February Break. It's one of the nice things about working in a school -- having the time to get reacquainted with the sun (something I missed a lot of growing up in upstate New York), the time to enjoy life now that the Holiday Hangover and midterms have passed.

One of the things I need to do during this time is think about my future. After twenty-one years in New York City, I'm looking for a way out. Don't get me wrong: I love the City, it's the city I hate. The lack of grass under my feet as I get the mail, the lack of stars over my head at night, the lack of fresh air, the lack of crickets as my lullaby have all gotten to me. I want to be a country girl again. I want to be "unbustled". It's hard to do that in the city, where the very fact that it's a city makes one bustle through the day.

I'm also thinking about more ways to unplug. Library Web Chic wrote about the dangers of being Skyped and IM'd by strangers, and I've been thinking more and more about taking the time to just turn all those electronic gadgets that connect us to everyone off. Just because I have a cell phone doesn't mean that I have to have it on all day, does it? If that's true, then I also don't need to check my e-mail every day... or the various websites and blogs I enjoy. It will all be there when I feel the need to check back in.

So I'm going to try to spend this week unbustled and unplugged in. I don't plan to go cold turkey, though. Small steps, right?

3 comments:

Aravis said...

I'll be interested in hearing your observations when you've completed your experiment. :0)

Karmon said...

I leave my cell phone at home when I know I'm going to be at my office all day. I'm reachable by other means. I don't check my work email during the weekends, and I am very selective of whom I allow on my IM buddy list. I love the convenience of these technologies, but I also view them as tools to help me -- not necessities.

wordswordswords said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.