3.1.05

Thoughts about 2004

I've looked over my list of books read in 2004. This summary is a variant of Jessamyn's. The thing is, I don't catalog them monthly, I do it quarterly. So by the time I get around to the actual cataloging, I don't remember when I read it. Still, it's an interesting look at my reading this century. One thing that struck me was that I thought I was reading more than I am. This requires work!

number of books cataloged in 2004: 124
number of books cataloged in 2003: 69
number of books cataloged in 2002: 123
number of books cataloged in 2001: 76
number of books cataloged in 2000: 99

For 2004:
average read per month: 10.33
adult fiction as percentage of total: 14
children's/YA fiction as percentage of total: 35
mystery as percentage of total: 23
non-fiction as percentage of total: 13

Luckily, very few fall into the "dislike" column - most are in the "good" to "very good" range. A few - maybe 5 - (no names, but you can e-mail and ask) are ones I'd like to request my time back for having read. That's pretty good odds, isn't it?

Then there's Stephanie. She writes about her pile of books to be read (what I fondly refer to as "Mt. Bookpile"). My problem isn't a pile or two, it's a 6' bookcase! However, there's a lot to be said for narrowing it down to a few piles. Which is, in fact, one of my goals for 2005. Of course, that will mean less purchasing of books and I'm not sure I can do that. On the other hand, I could just read more rather than spending time watching tv.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: