20.1.05

On reading

A while ago, OGIC posted about "demonstrative reading", and yesterday she posted a follow-up. It all ties into the whole question of the Reading Child vs. the Child Reading, doesn't it?

Reading Children (or Teens or Adults) don't usually think about being "demonstrative" in their reading - they're too busy getting on with the actual joy of the words and the book. At least, that's what I was doing. The idea that someone would be watching what I read, or impressed by it, never crossed my mind. It also never crossed my mind that others might be reading differently than I (I knew people read slower, or that some very strange people didn't like to read but different didn't occur to me).

When I take the subway, I see people reading. Until I read these posts, I assumed they were reading because it gave them pleasure. Now I wonder.

No comments: