28.7.04

Something to think about

Bloggers Anonymous. One of Terry Teachout's correspondents writes about the lack of connection we can sometimes feel in this Internet age. This correspondent says (in part):
Technology is an absolute good, you say. Maybe. It seems an irreversible good, meaning that if you aren't on the internet, then the community changes without you. I'm without cell-phone or notebook or palm, but the people around me are less open to chatting with strangers because they have them, so I may as well get them….
I've been pondering this for a few years now. As we push students to do more and more work on laptops (lessening the contact they have with teachers in favor of typing into a small screen), insist that multi-tasking is a good thing, make ourselves available all the time via cell phones and e-mail, aren't we losing something? The ability to communicate one-on-one, the ability to shut off and not be reachable by everyone all the time... all facets of life that are no longer acceptable. And then there's the problem of simply accepting that this is the way it is, without questioning the lasting value or effects. It's a struggle for me to balance all this... a struggle I'm not sure I'm winning.

No comments: